Customer Service - 08/17/2012
We Own It!
The Merc Buys 901 Iowa
After renting our space for more than 10 years, The Merc recently purchased its building at 901 Iowa!
Why is this so exciting?
• We are proud of The Merc for being able to achieve this ambitious goal. Just 10 years ago, we would never have dreamed of being able to purchase the property.
• Owning the building means we have greater ability to make improvements that are aligned with our Ends.
• Now our co-op Owners own this place together, which makes it even more meaningful to be a Merc Co-op Owner.
• It means we don’t plan on leaving this location! Ever!
• It means we will put more love into our store (plumbing, paint, parking lot, etc.)
Why did we do this?
• It’s a wise financial decision – after 10 years we will own the building free and clear. After that, we’ll be generating more cash, which will help us afford to grow our co-op and better serve our Owners’ needs.
• It’s a great location – centrally located, second largest intersection, on bus routes, right off the interstate, and close to three schools (and school gardens!)
Plans are currently underway to hire a consultant to conduct an energy audit in order to set goals for making the building more energy efficient. The Merc will prioritize future building improvements with the help of staff and Owners. Stay tuned for details on a September celebration in honor of this great achievement.